Saturday, June 6, 2009

Fabu-Tastic Icons

I've yet to write anything about drag icons and my own personal infulences. So depending on how long this takes this is dedicated to the fabulous "women" of drag!

So these lovely ladies are my influences as well as just plain fantastic. The majority of these ladies can be googled...

RuPaul: Host of RuPaul's Dragrace (as seen on tv), star of Starrbooty, and singer of Supermodel
She influences my love of interesting as well as high fashion. She also fuels my passion and love for life. Live as who you are and don't let anyone tell you how you should live or who you should love. Okay so I'm inspired by the immortal words of Jerry Herman, "I am what I am"... Like Ru, I myself have a signature laugh... well mine's more of a cackle.

Lady Bunny: Hostess, M.C. and Fashion Critic for the ragmags... as well as guest star in gay cinema. She inspires my crass sense of humor and word play. She's blunt, she honest, and she's fierce. Always has fabulously huge blond wigs that also inspire to be proud of my roots... my natural roots. I like to be naughty just as much as she does.

Tyra Banks: Host of the Tyra Banks show and supermodel
She has energy, she has fans, and she's a... real woman? Yup, she is, but her energy and enthusiam (as well as a huge supporter of the LGBT community). I recently saw the episode where she talked to Isis, the first transgender contestant on America's Next Top Model. Fantastic episode to be proud of who you are and that work and enginuity can pay off in the long run. Sometimes having fun means being crazy fun, Tyra is everything like that and more.

Amanda Lepore: (not sure what she's famous for, but) supermodel (i'm sure!)
Glamorous! A no-holds-bar babe. Transgenderified into the busty blond that we all know and love. (i say that because i've seen her in person before, crazy!) She inspires my need to be fabulous and glamorous... at all times! And to get professional photos of myself so I can promote myself as a drag star! ^_^

And of course...

Dame Edna: Australian Comedienne
The only lady that I have seen with naturally (she says) purple hair... no, not purple, lavender. From her fantastic trusso of costumes to her accent to her perfectly coiffed hair she is a lady... a lady I myself would love emulate when i walk out on stage. A marvellous sense of humor and such a character, I personally hope that I get to meet her before I can't.

So these are the ladies that have inspired me to be the lady that I am. Everyone has to have some kind of influence or idol. These ladies are a few of the fantastic ones that I have. Without them around I don't anyone in the world would be who they are without them.

In the end, you could say I'm a passionate, naughty, funny/energetic, glamorous, lady-like drag queen.

That's it for this exciting adventure into self-discovery. Until Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment